Beautifully produced work on the history of the railways of Latvia with focus on the individual lines and their stations. The first railway within the present borders of Latvia was the St PetersburgWarsaw Railway, opened in 1860, when Latvia was part of Russia. The Latvian State Railways was formed in 1919 and reconstructed and developed the system extensively during the independence, which lasted until 1940. Sovietisation followed during the Soviet era, but since 1992, the Latvian railways are again independent. The history of each line is outlined in order of opening, with a map of the system at the time, several illustrations (mainly historical postcards) and details on each station. The work was originally published in Latvian, and this is a professional English translation. 198 pages 24x30 cm, ca 450 ill, hb.